· I can describe how Mendeleev arranged the elements in his table.
· I can explain how the predictions Mendeleev made and the discovery of new elements demonstrated the usefulness of his periodic table.
· I can describe the arrangement of elements in the modern periodic table.
· I can explain how the atomic mass of an element is determined and how atomic mass units are defined.
· I can identify general properties of metals, nonmetals and metalloids.
· I can describe how properties of elements change across a period in the periodic table.
· I can relate the number of valence electrons to group in the periodic table and to properties of elements in those groups.
· I can predict the reactivity of some elements based on their locations within a group.
· I can identify some properties of common “A” group elements.