Drop Off/Pick up Procedures
Procedures and Information
Cork Elementary School
Procedures and Safety Information
Welcome to a brand new school year! This letter has been prepared to help you understand our operating procedures and to make you aware of some changes for the upcoming year.
- Your student’s supply list with their teacher listed for the 2019-2020 school year was mailed home the week of June 3rd with your student’s final report card. Your student’s homeroom teacher is not subject to change; all students were placed in their classrooms after careful review of individual student data.
- With the return of the original bus scheduling/routes, we will follow drop off/pick up and bus routine as in the past
If you are driving your child to school: Drop off begins in the morning at 8:20 am at the north (office) entrance if your child is eating breakfast. If your child is not eating breakfast at school, you will drop them off at 8:30 am. Breakfast is available until 8:45 am. You will loop around the parking lot and enter the lane right next to the sidewalk. Please pull up to the crosswalk to let your students out of the car. Please have your child exit your car on the right. Remember to be considerate to others by having your child exit the car promptly. Before leaving, make sure the crosswalk is clear. You are expected to use the drop off lane when arriving at school. If you need to walk in with your child, you will park your car and cross with your child. DO NOT drop off your child in the parking lot and let them cross by themselves. Adults will be outside supervising. They can be distracted when students stop to talk and say “Good Morning”. We enjoy starting the day with attention placed on our students. Adult/student connections are an important part of the education process.
Buses will use the front loop to dismiss students. Students eating breakfast will be dismissed off the bus at 8:20 am. Students not eating breakfast will be dismissed from the bus t 8:30 am.
- It helps everyone if students understand their day before they leave for school. Our days are busy and focused. It can be very confusing to our office, classrooms and your children to make changes in transportation during the day. We do not take phone calls to change transportation arrangements. Classroom notes to teachers provide the best and safest communication for your child. Send a note to your child’s teacher when normal schedules or routines are changed due to:
• Change in transportation home.
• Release from gym class, recess or another activity.
• Change in medication.
• Absence or tardiness. (if a note or medical excuse is not sent, your child will be considered truant)
• Change in address, phone, living arrangements, or babysitter.
- Students who are picked up after school will be dismissed at 3:00 PM. Bussed students will be dismissed at 3:05 pm to the front of the building where the buses will be loaded. The students' exit through the cafeteria and gym doors. This allows buses to depart by 3:15 PM. In the event of a last-minute change (an emergency) requiring you to get your child off of a bus, report to the office and the school secretary will radio the bus. Do not report to your child’s bus. This is a violation of safe school procedures.
- Pick up procedures – our staff will supervise students who report to cars for pickup. Students will be dismissed from the side entrance at 3:00 pm. Please pickup car tags at Open House. We are assigning new numbers so please make sure you are picking up a number. We are assigning new numbers to start low and have the ability to make the numbers larger. Easier to see. If you need additional numbers, contact the office. Please have your students practice buckling their seat belt independently in order to expedite this process. There will be no office pickups during the pick up process. Parents are not permitted to wait inside as we have done in the past with the exception of AM Kindergarten. In the event of an emergency, parents may call the office to pick up at 2:30 PM. AM KDG students who get picked up will be sent to the office at 11:25 AM. Parents will have to come to the office to pick up their KDG students. At the same time, AM KDG students who ride the bus will be escorted to the bus to go home. The PM KDG will be escorted into the building to start their day.
- Families who qualify for free lunch/breakfast programs must complete the required forms. When paying for lunches/breakfasts, always send money in a sealed envelope that has your child’s name, the teacher’s name and amount of money on it. Payment can be made on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Payment may also be made online at www.myschoolbucks.com. Checks must be made payable to Cork Elementary School Cafeteria. The price of school lunches this year will be $2.80. Milk and juice are available at $.50 when purchased separately. The cost of breakfast is $1.50. Reduced prices are $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. To qualify for free or reduced meals, you must complete an application. You may complete your application online at https://www.myschoolapps.com/. Paper applications are available upon request at each school office.
- The K-5 Student Handbook is available online. Pay particular attention to dress code guidelines and the conduct code. I will be reviewing the code of conduct with the students in the first week of school. Please let us know if you require a paper copy.
- Medications are distributed by prescription only and require the signature of a parent and physician on a Geneva Schools Medication Form. Medications may not be transported by bus. Parent or guardian will need to check in their medicine with the nurse or office staff.
In closing, thank you for your cooperation in the enforcement of school safety and procedures. I am very excited to begin another school year as your Principal here at Cork. Please check the Geneva Area City Schools website at genevaschools.org for additional information.
Also, please read "A Day in the Life of a Corker" found on the website and handed out at Open House.
Mrs. Melissa Doherty