It's National School Bus Safety Week. Be sure to "thank" your bus driver this week:)
Bus safety tips to protect children
Here are some rules for students to follow while riding the bus, from the Ohio Department of Education.
On the way to the bus:
- Be Alert. Arrive at your stop at least five minutes early.
- Obey all traffic lights and signals.
- Plan to walk with schoolmates when possible and face traffic.
- When crossing streets, always cross at crosswalks and intersections.
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
At the bus stop:
- Stand back from the curb or road at least three steps.
- Don’t push or shove when entering or exiting and always use the steps and hand rail.
- Always obey the bus driver and wait for the driver’s signal before crossing.
- Always cross at least 10 feet in front of the school bus.
- Never crawl under the bus. If you drop something under the bus, notify the bus driver.
When riding the bus:
- Take your seat quietly and quickly. Remain seated while the bus is moving.
- Keep your feet on the floor and never extend your hands, arms, head or any object out the window of the bus.
- Talk in a quiet voice, be courteous to the driver and schoolmates and try not to distract the driver through misbehavior.